Things to keep in mind.
- Tom did NOT coat the canvas with oil.
- He uses Magic White™ and Magic Clear to loosen the paint as he goes along.
- If you don’t have Ultramarine Blue, don’t worry. Just make your own by using Alexander Phthalo Blue (the size of a half dollar) and Violet (the size of a penny.). We can’t guarantee if this formula works with other brands but we do know it works with Alexander paint. We suggest you make a dollop of it before you start.
- If you have to leave your painting for a while it is ok. If the canvas is dry just use a thin film of Magic Clear to wet the canvas again.
- One of our favorite things about this class is that you get to learn to mix color. We know you will be a more confident artist once you understand how easy it is to change an existing color at any time.
- Don’t forget to take breaks. I don’t know if this happens to you but my watch tells me to stand when I’ve been sitting too long. It is a good idea to set an alarm to make sure you are standing and stretching periodically. You can leave your paints sitting out overnight. If the paint sets up, it is a good thing. Just be sure and wipe your brushes out at the end of the day.
- Baby wipes are your friend. Use them freely to keep your area cleaned up and to keep wipe away unwanted paint on the canvas.
- Even though Tom paints the highlights right away, it may be best if you wait even overnight. Highlights are always easier to go on once the canvas has had time to sit.
- Send a photo of your work in progress, if you get stuck along the way.
- Just remember to have fun! Anything can be changed.
- Feel free to paint it your way.
Happy “Bird’s Eye View” Painting!
Laurie & Dawn
PS: When you are ready for your painting to be reviewed by Tom, just email me a photo (the clearer and larger the file) the better. Please try to keep your camera level to the canvas. Sometimes it works best to photograph your painting while it is on the ground. Natural light is best with no shadows. Again my email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.